Experience a traditional Turkish bath while visiting Turkey!
Turkish bath, Türk hamamı, is a public bath that has been used since the Roman times. During the Ottoman period, they were either part of a külliye (a complex of buildings adjacent to a mosque) or a separate building that was run for mosques and charitable foundations. Turkish bath was not only a public bath, but it also had a socializing function. Especially women went to the hamam with their relatives or neighbours to chat, eat, drink, sing and dance, even find a girl to marry their sons. In addition to socializing, there were also traditional occasions done in the hamam such as kına gecesi (henna night) before the wedding.
Parts of Turkish Bath
- Göbek taşı Heated marble slab to lie on for sweating
- Halvet Partially enclosed bathing cubicle
- Kese Bath glove made of coarse cloth for rubbing the skin
- Kurna Marble basin under a faucet
- Kurna başı Open parts that the customers take bath alone
- Peştamal Loincloth worn in the hamam
- Takunya Clog
- Tas Metal bowl, vessel used for washing up
- Tellak Rubber, attendant who messages and bathes the customer
Today, even if the hamam seems to lose its popularity, it is still a favourable place as part of the city culture as well as for traditional people.
Handpicked Turkish Bath Tours & Tickets
Cleanse your body and mind with traditional Turkish bath experience at the best Turkish baths during your Turkey travel:
- Alanya: 2-Hour Traditional Turkish Bath Experience
- Antalya: Traditional Turkish Bath with Massages
- Antalya: Massage and Scrub at a Turkish Bath
- Antalya, Belek: Traditional Turkish Bath Experience with Massage
- Antalya, Kemer: 2-Hour Traditional Turkish Bath and Massage
- Antalya, Side: 3-hour Full Turkish Bath Experience
- Bodrum: Turkish Bath Experience
- Bodrum: Full-Day Turkish Bath Experience
- Cappadocia: 2-Hour Traditional Turkish Bath Experience
- Fethiye: Entrance to Turkish Bath incl. Massages
- Istanbul: Full-Day Turkish Bath Experience
- Istanbul, Sultanahmet: Traditional Turkish Bath Experience
- Kusadasi: Turkish Bath Experience
- Kusadasi: Full-Day Luxurious Turkish Spa Tour
- Marmaris: 2-Hour Turkish Bath Experience
- Marmaris: Grand Hamam 2-Hour Turkish Bath and Massage
- Marmaris: 2-hour Traditional Turkish Bath Experience
Plan your trip to Turkey
Plan your Turkey travel in 3 steps: First book the cheapest flight to Turkey, then book the best Turkey hotel and finally choose Turkey tours, tickets and activities for an amazing travel in Turkey.
Book your Turkey flight!
Search flights to Turkey, get the cheapest flight deals to Turkey, book your flight to Turkey online and enjoy your Turkey travel!
Book your Turkey hotel!
Hotelscombined.com is a leading online hotel price comparison website searching hotels from all major travel websites if you are looking for the best Turkey hotel deals.
Book your Turkey holiday villa & apartment rentals!
Get your Turkey tour guide!
Book your Turkey tours, tickets for top attractions in Turkey! GetYourGuide.com offers the best Turkey tours, the lowest prices, fast & easy booking.
Are you learning Turkish?
- Download Turkish language learning books for self-study »
- Download self-study Turkish lessons – with audios & answer keys »
- Take Turkish language lessons online via Skype »
And don’t forget to follow our Facebook Page: Turkish Riviera news, updates and travel offers!