Explore the Lycian Way (Fethiye – Antalya), one of the top 10 most beautiful long distance hikes in the world!
The Lycian Way is a 509 km, waymarked hiking trail along the ancient Lycian coast from Fethiye to Antalya. The Lycian Way offers for hikers rocky coastlines, deserted beaches, pine forests, mountain peaks and ancient ruins. Plus you will encounter generous people in the villages, where you can stop and have something to eat and rest.
The Lycian Way, researched, designed and waymarked by Kate Clow in 1999, a British / Turkish amateur historian, takes its name from the ancient civilization, which once ruled the area. Lycia is the historical name of the Tekke Peninsula located in Muğla and Antalya city along the Mediterranean Sea on Turkey’s southern coast.
History of Lycia
- The strategic position of Lycia gave them a unique opportunityfor sea-trade and for piracy.
- After Persian rule, the Lycians welcomed Alexander the Great and absorbed Greek culture.
- Lycia became a province of the Roman Empire. The Romans developed many cities and ports, linking them with paved roads and equipping them with theatres, baths, forums, temples and ceremonial gates.
- From the 4th BC, Christianity took hold and, as the Roman empire crumbled, many Byzantine monasteries were founded in the Lycian hills. Lycian graves and ruins abound on the peninsula and the Lycian Way passes about 25 remote historical sites.
Best Lycian Way Tours
Lycian Way Self-Guided 8-Day Walking Tour
Experience a delightful walking tour along Turkey’s Turquoise Coast, explore traces of ancient civilisations, walk over mountains, with breathtaking panoramic views, meet friendly locals, enjoy the independence of a self-guided tour with the convenience of baggage transfers.
8-Day Saint Paul Trail Walking Tour from Antalya
Follow in the footsteps of Saint Paul on an 8-day trekking tour of central Turkey, walking the route of his 1st mission in Asia Minor. Experience the wilderness of a 300-mile footpath along Roman roads, passing through isolated nature and historic towns.
Are you learning Turkish?
- Download Turkish language learning books for self-study »
- Download self-study Turkish lessons – with audios & answer keys »
- Take Turkish language lessons online via Skype »
And don’t forget to follow our Facebook Page: Turkish Riviera news, updates and travel offers!